2017 Rita Schaffer Young Investigator Lecturer
The Award is in recognition of a high level of originality and ingenuity in scientific work in biomedical engineering as an early stage, independent PI. The applicant must be:
• Within seven years of completing his/her highest degree. Approved leave (maternity, paternity, elder care, etc.) does not count towards the seven year limit.
• A tenure track faculty member at the Assistant Professor level at the time of award submission.
1. NIH-formatted bio sketch (5 page maximum) clearly highlighting examples of research independence.
2. A one page research statement highlighting examples that demonstrate his/her ability to become a successful, independent PI and highlight up to three research manuscripts that the applicant has published (or is in press) as an independent PI. In the research statement, it is recommended that the applicant submit information on three publications. However, applicants with less than three manuscripts can also apply if their manuscript or manuscripts is/are very high impact. The research statement should include a publicly available link to these published manuscripts selected by the applicant. If the manuscript is not publicly available, it should be attached to the application. Applicants should use no more than 500 words for their research statement.
3. Two confidential letters of support. One by the Department Chair, and the second by a recognized authority in the field. (This letter should not be from a former mentor, nor from anyone at the applicant's institution.) These letters should attest to the significance of the work generated by the applicant's laboratory as an independent PI. The letters of support should be no longer than two pages. These letters should be send directly to email@example.com and should state your name and Rita Schaffer Award in subject line.
4. BMES Service Summary: The applicant should include a paragraph summary highlighting their participation within the Society.
All items MUST BE SUBMITTED by May 31, 2017. Late submissions WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. For questions, please contact BMES Membership Director, Lisa Prandy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Name and degrees of the nominee for the Rita Schaffer Young Investigator Lecturer Award
Applicant Email Address
Applicant Phone Number
Please provide the Applicant's BMES membership number
NIH Formatted Bio Sketch
BMES Service Summary
Do Not Fill This Out